Wednesday, February 3, 2016

WIP Wednesday - Making Progress Decorating

In July we moved back into the renovated house.  We proceeded to empty boxes, set up beds and minimally decorate because it was the summer at the lake and there were much more important things to do!  Then came a beautiful fall in New England that included some travel.  Right after that we jumped into the holiday season.  During all this time we enjoyed a constant stream of visitors who  loved our new home.
Indeed we love the "new" house and still can't believe we live here but it needs a little decorating effort to make it feel more like a home.  Right now we have many blank walls, no window treatments in bedrooms and neat rooms that lack personality.  I have a plan to work room by room to jazz up the place before the summer begins.  Fortunately for this plan, so far our first full-time winter here has been extremely mild with negligible snow fall (quite a contrast from last winter!).  Therefore instead of snowshoeing out my back door, I am sewing in my new sewing cave.  Even with the lack of snow, some days the view from the sewing machine isn't too bad (most of this snow has melted).
The first room on the list is the family bedroom as it is a favorite with guests.  A queen bed and a set of bunks makes this a fun room for families to hang out in.  Although I immediately had shades installed, window treatments of some kind were needed to soften the look.  Store bought panels were enough but geesh why are they never the right length?!  Hanging the rod wide and high of the window, I needed to take off a few inches.  As much as I love to sew, heming window treatments is drudgery.  I'd rather make the window treatments from scratch.  So, this seems like quite an accomplishment!
The quilts for the bunk beds are finished.

I've also had a fun adding some personality to this room.

The room is almost complete and I promise a post soon with the full room reveal.

In other news, I have been published.  OR at least my back side has!  Yes indeed, that's me in the black outfit admiring the detail of a quilt at QuiltCon in Austin.  Can you imagine my surprise when I saw this picture in an ad for QuiltCon in Love Patchwork and Quilting Magazine?

Moving onto the next room, this pile of goodies is for the next room on The List:  the sunporch.

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced (perhaps last) WIP Wednesday and Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts Let's Bee Social linky parties.  Happy Wednesday!
Kathy



4 comments:

  1. I love that first picture! Blue skies, blue lake, what a great view! Looks like you've got great decorating plans in the works. Congrats on your modeling debut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your setting is amazing. Love your quilts and fabric choices, as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dream of decorating my new house by the lake while we are waiting for it to be finished. I look forward to seeing your room reveals.

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to take the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...