Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Some Sewing Between House Projects

My goodness there are a lot of decisions that need to be made when renovating a home.  Fortunately we are working with great people on this project who have been very helpful in presenting streamlined options and driving decisions in the order needed.  The new sewing room (so excited!) color has been chosen.
 This is Benjamin Moore opal essence, a light minty green.  To me this is a happy but not overpowering color.  What do you think?   We've been playing around with the room layout with this very sophisticated tool.

There are going to be two rows of three recessed light cans.    With the right bulbs and the two double windows, this should be enough light.

The process of emptying out our home of 23 years is a huge project and I think we are pretty neat and organized people!  But all the boys' stuff, handmade furniture we have inherited, perfectly functional kitchen stuff that is not being used, cute baby things, school pictures and so on all need to go somewhere.  Certainly, I will get to the point that I will pitch things in the trash, but right now we are trying to find the right home for everything (including the right charities to donate to).  Just a little stressful...to say the least.

I decided I needed to force a little sewing time in the schedule  to relieve some of that stress.  One day I cut some squares of fabric that seemed springy to me.  I picked up a set of Bloc-Loc rulers at Quilt Con.  A little simple HST sewing sounds quite nice.

I'm also trying to spend a little time quilting some of the older quilt tops.  This one is the oldest, indeed it is the first quilt top I ever made (blogged here) and the piecing is atrocious but it has sentimental meaning to me so it is going to be finished.  I've decided to practice my FMQ'ing and am breaking the quilt up into large blocks with a different quilting pattern in each block and in a border surrounding each section.

The quilting is disappearing on the front and is almost not visible as well on the back so a perfect quilt choice for messing up!!


In the mean time we are watching the snow melt (slowly) and planning how to do a Easter egg hunt in the snow.

Happy Wednesday!
Kathy

8 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for finding new homes for loved, but no longer needed, items in your home renovation! You get carbon credits for that! :P Also, so happy to see you practicing FMQing. It's always great to be able to practice on something that will get used (instead of just basted muslin that won't become anything) in preparation for quilting that quilt that you just want to get perfect. So, go practice! Visiting you from WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I don't envy you the sorting! Ugh.
    I've been slaving away trying to finish my blasted dresden quilt ~ but I just had to take a break from it a few times to pull out a few stacks of fabrics. You did pick some cheery ones ~ I look forward to seeing what fabulousness you make with them. Love your hi-tech design software ~ that's pretty much my favorite method.
    Guess you don't need to color your eggs this year ;-)
    Take care ~Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use the same high tech design tools. :) Love the light green you selected. And your quilting on your first top looks great! Enjoy your quilting/sanity break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely feel your pain! Six months ago we moved from a home we had lived in for 22 years & boy was that a chore...I thought. The real chore was remodeling (done completely by my husband & I) & moving into the new house. I still haven't found the floor of my quilting studio & I am having sewing withdrawls big time! Hope you enjoy your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there girl....moving is a cleansing process in it's own way. Looking forward to seeing that new sewing room though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are able to find some calming sewing time for yourself amidst all of this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those colours resulting from your forced sewing time. Hope it helped you to relax! Looks like you have been having a great time practicing the quilting for you old wip. What a wonderful way to hone your skills. Looking forward to seeing your new sewing room! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This whole post sounds stressful! Well maybe not, because you're getting a new sewing room!! Who are you working with in the area? Enjoy all the sewing breaks you can get.

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to take the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...