Friday, March 7, 2014

Love of Home Quilt Top Finish

Since we last chatted, I attended a Roaring 20's party wearing the dress I shared with you in my last post and, if I say so myself, we were the cat's meow.
After another fantastic trip to visit our son in Chicago, I am back to my sewing cave.  This is a quilt that will be part of a silent auction.  As you may know, one of the things my husband and I do to stay out of trouble is tutor children who are or have experienced homelessness.   Housing Families is a unique organization that not only helps provide temporary and permanent housing for these families, but also provides a wide range of services to support the future success of the family.  One of these programs is an after school counseling and tutoring program for school age children.  A quilt with homes seemed right.

The pattern is Suburbs by Cluck Cluck Sew and the fabric is Little Black Dress by Basic Gray.  I need to finish this ASAP and am a little stumped as to how to quilt this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Kathy

PS  Anyone in the Boston area who would love an evening of chef tasting and great music all for a good cause, tickets are still available here for Housing Families annual gala on March 22!  I understand there are some very special items in the silent auction!

12 comments:

  1. What a great quilt. I love the fabric you have chosen. I'm not an expert at quilting and so won't offer any suggestions on a particular quilting design but I think something circular and inclusive would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabrics in the houses! I'd do horizontal straight stitching on the houses like siding and in the background maybe horizontal curvy wind stitching. Good luck and I hope it raises a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Great job taking a "childish" quilt and making it all grown up! I'm not very good at quilting, and so am limited to straight line quilting. In this case, I would probably do vertical lines, straight or wavy. Good luck - can't wait to see the finished product! (And how kind of you to do a charity quilt!) (charlottesgraceforacure@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and gorgeous! You two look so sophisticated in 20's kinda way! Looks like you guys had a great time. Now about your quilt top... I have long admired that pattern and you certainly chose the perfect collection for yours! I love it! Quilting? Have you thought of doing any spiral quilting? Would look great on this, maybe in a gray thread! Just start out slowly for the first few rounds, then you are good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Y'all are quite the dashing duo! So many wonderful ways to help others if one looks aren't there?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilt and think houses are perfect! I saw a pantograph that was meandering with little hands thrown in - kinda like the one on this page called little hands http://www.monstermarketplace.com/quilting-supplies/pantograph-patterns?p=6. The one I saw (which of course I cannot find again and thought I had bookmarked but had not :( ) had more meandering between the hands. I think either would work - depends on how densely you want the quilt quilted. Maybe straight diagonal lines in the house and the little meandering hands in the negative space. No matter what you choose - this quilt will be loved by the recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED seeing you and your husband all dressed up. Your dress is perfect! As for the quilting, it depends on the time you want to put in it. I am partial to spiral quilting that looks like wind, but wavy horizontal lines would look good too, as well as more custom quilting with the houses quilted differently from the background. Like I said, what ever fits your schedule and mood. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cat's meow, that expression cracks me up! Great organization, I wish there were more people like you out the in world to help the less fortunate children. As for your quilt I really like that Jasmine said about making some wind like quilting. That would be a breeze (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, you two are the cats' meow! This quilt is stunning. Curves of some kind to offset the straight lines would look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super fun pic! I too thought of wavy vertical lines for the quilting. That quilt pattern always catches my eye - love it in those muted fabrics~

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are adorable! I love this quilt and appreciate the work you do with homeless children. I'm drawing a creative blank at the moment...sorry. Time for another cup of coffee on this rainy Sunday morning I'm enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ordered this pattern to make with a Lucy's Crab Shack layer cake I have. THanks for including the pattern resource.

      Delete

How nice of you to take the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...