Saturday, January 14, 2017

A Finish for Jean

I've shared a little about my very, very talented mother in law.  She knits, crochets, sews, makes a mean custard pie, so forth and so on!  In one of my first posts I talked about how her quilts inspired me to get into this hobby.

To simplify her pile of WIP's, a couple of months ago, she pulled out two beautiful finished quilt tops and asked me to quilt and bind them.  Of course I couldn't refuse despite my fear of messing up someone else's work!  It was a wonderful reason to dust off my free motion skills that had not been exercised in months and bravely (!?) did so with simple meander quilting.
She supplied the polyester batting and backing.  This was my first experience with polyester batting and although I had no problem quilting through it, the weight was noticeably heavier than the cotton batting I normally work with.  What a soft puffy quilt though when finished!

I love her choice of layout for these log cabin blocks. Although pieced probably decades ago, with a wide array of fabric types, the colors seem bright and contemporary.  The quilt is a double bed size.



And isn't her son a wonderful quilt holder?  Looks like a quilt monster or something...

Finishing this quilt for someone else, reminded me how much I respect the responsibility that long arm quilters take on each time they accept another maker's work.

We brought it back to her this week and I think she was pleased!  Now for her to decide who in the family will be the lucky recipient of an heirloom quilt made by Gram!

Have a great day!
Kathy

7 comments:

  1. Love this quilt! Such fun fabrics! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic quilt! Oh to have the patience to make all those log cabins. Love it. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out so beautifully! Awesome work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! Good job with that polyester batting. I love the monster quilt holder photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is pretty. And doesn't it just prove that everything old is new again. I agree, the colors are beautiful and the way she varied and set the blocks is timeless. Meandering is always a good decision. Well done to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You helped her get it finished and used...isn't that the best feeling! So glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to take the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...