Friday, June 23, 2017

Hello Lucy!

A hand sewing project has escalated in priority as the summer begins.  Something I can do on the deck or on the beach to keep my hands busy is the goal.  English paper piecing seems to be the perfect technique for portability and there are so many enticing projects it has been a challenge to decide where to begin.  There's beautiful hexagon projects, La Passacaglia Quilt, the Smitten Quilt and so many others.  I've decided to give Lucy Boston a try!

After some research I assembled the needed supplies.
Let's start with fabric selection.  To jump start this adventure, I've gotten quite a bit of support and supplies from Alewives Fabrics' (in Nobleboro, Maine about two and half hours from home) weekly Lucy Boston club.

Then supplies to fussy cut the fabric.  Templates to cut the fabric, mirror, small rotary blade.  I'm hoping that I can get more accurate and faster with this stage.

One of my concerns about EPP is the potential waste of fabric.

Glue basting is brilliant!

Then, there are the supplies for sewing.  Lovely Aurifil 80 weight thread and skinny needles.

After cursing numerous annoying thread tangles, I'm giving this stuff a try.

Phew.  EPP is quite a bit different than my quilting experience to date.  All of the prep work takes a surprising amount of time.  BUT I think I'm hooked!  Stitches are not perfect but using the flat back stitch seems to yield better results.



So stay tuned, in another five years or so I may have a quilt to share with you!

Kathy

5 comments:

  1. It's looking lovely. In five years (wink) it should be even more so. I know what you mean about the fabric waste, I haven't quite come to terms with that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy! Looks really great! Hand sewing is so good for summer when we like to be more away from the sewing room. You have great tools and supplies! I haven't tried that shape but I love epp and have made hexagons, diamonds and now the latest is hearts with two pieces but I don't know the name for that shape (something like half diamond / half hexagon). They will need tiny diamonds between or I shall see how else they can be continued. Happy summer sewings! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. But your fussy cutting is spot on! Really great! Maybe the leftovers can be cut into usable 2" squares or stips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy you WILL be hooked! Glad you found something for those summer days outside. I"m putting together some hand sewing as well....makes sitting the deck during these long summer nights much more fun!I'll be looking forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is so pretty. I need to start another hand sewing project sometime.

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to take the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...