Friday, November 28, 2014

Finished - John Deere Quilt

You might remember my first post about a big stack of lovingly embroidered John Deere tractor blocks.  To be honest, I was really nervous working on this project.  My sister-in-law had put so many hours into making these blocks for her grandson (followed up by surgery on her hand...really!), I was so afraid of screwing this up.
 I wanted to add a little more substance to the blocks so I decided to line each block with white cotton.   Some on-line shopping yielded a selection of John Deere themed fabrics to frame each tractor and add a border.

After consulting with my SIL, we decided to go all the way with the theme and I used a John Deere fleece for the backing.
Deciding how to quilt the embroidered blocks took some time.  Ultimately, I decided just to outline each tractor and stitch in the ditch in all the borders.  The tractors stand out and the blocks are so puffy and soft!

I had some fabric and fleece remaining so I made a pillow to match.



The quilt is twin size, heavy and very, very soft!  These were shipped off to Michigan last week, before the Christmas rush.

My sister-in-law was thrilled!  Phew!  What a relief!  I look forward to seeing her grandson wrapped up in this big, soft quilt.

Linking up with Amanda Jean's finish it up Friday linky party!

Kathy

13 comments:

  1. Awesome. I love the whole ensemble, and I'm sure he will too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is intimidating to work on someone else's project! This one turned out great! Lovely find, the John Deere fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little boy is going to be very happy! Super cute, I mean manly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you quilted this! It looks so cozy and warm. I'm glad you kept the theme front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable quilt and I like that fleece backing--someone will be super happy hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. A D O R A B L E!!! THe absolute perfect boy quilt! LOve the stitiched tractors and simple quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute quilt and of course he will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt. My DH is a huge John Deere fan, he collects antique tractors, so he would love to have a quilt, and hints non stop about when I am going to make him one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the embroidered tractors and nice pillow too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous! I am sure her grandson will LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great quilt and pillow for a young boy!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! I like the way you have complimented the embroidered blocks with the john deere fabric, a good find! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is adorable and guaranteed to be well loved!!! Such a lovely gift:-)

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to take the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...