Monday, May 11, 2020

Finished - Scrap Vortex Quilt

For several years I have been keeping a bag beside the sewing machine of little scraps.  Too small to be put into the respective color scrap bin (yes, I am THAT person that has multiple scrap storage tiers) but too special to be thrown out.  In the early stages of the quarantine I noted that the bag was overflowing.
Doing a little research I rediscovered Amanda Jean's scrap vortex quilt along.    First step was prying all the little pieces and strips out of the bag and organizing them in some order.  

Very, very little was thrown in the trash and every bit was used!

I followed her recommendations and started with small pieces making small slabs and then just kept adding on.  In the beginning I had my doubts as to whether this was ever going to build up into something cohesive.  I stepped back and went back to review some of the beautiful quilts made as part of Amanda Jean's QAL  (for example Linda's!) and that gave me the inspiration to carry on!

As the quilt blocks began to grow came the challenge of assembling some pretty random sized slabs.

To my delight that little bag of bits and pieces came together pretty nicely!  Perhaps I shouldn't have been too surprised under the theory that if I loved each of the little pieces then the odds would be good that I would like the compilation.

Quilted in a simple meander this one is staying with me.



In the end I enjoyed the process so much I have started two more bags including one just for Christmas bits and pieces!

Keep smiling,
Kathy

11 comments:

  1. I love it! I certainly have enough scraps to do this one. A great Leader/Ender project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and I have plans to make one..starting with the leftovers from my scrappy Courthouse Steps one...thanks for sharing--nice work
    ~ ~ ~ waving from afar Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome quilt! Did you seriously only use bits from the bag? I've made a Crumb Quilt, but have never given Scrap Vortex a try. Maybe it's time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how it all works out beautifully in the end like a big jigsaw puzzle. It is a lovely finish. I have a feeling you will be making more of these. They are addictive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I have the necessary faith to embark on such a project! I think that, like you, I'd fear early on that the final product wouldn't result in something cohesive. I suspect what makes this beauty work is the limited palette. Like you said, you kept fabrics that you loved, and that act of editing put you on the path to a quilt with rhyme and reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. If you need Christmas scraps, you know where to go! : 0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! I had that bicycle print - and one of your greens. lol. I love how this came out. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful!! I made a vortex quilt but it is not as nice as this. I love the lights that blend everything! Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this quilt. It makes me want to go play with scraps.

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to take the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...