Friday, January 25, 2013

Staying Warm By My Sewing Machine!

The uber-cold weather continues here in the New England.  Rats, that means I just have to spend more time with my sewing machine.  What a sacrifice!

The first finish for the week is a little pillow for the sewing/guest room/office.  Nothing fancy here except for the very lovely fabric...such great texture.  My bad, I only purchased enough to make this little pillow.  A bit more would have been nice to match the pattern.  Oh well, next time.  I did follow this tutorial from Svetlana for the zipper closure.  Quite straight forward and much easier than an invisible zipper.

Next the wine themed table runner and coasters:

As you can see, they work quite well!

Do you remember the first cat quilt and cat bag?  Well, I think that cat fabric had more than nine lives in my fabric stash!  So, I decided to make this quilt for my dear sister-in-law Kim who is a SERIOUS cat lover and has had a tough year.   I am calling this quilt Cat Smiles and I hope it brings a smile to her.  I used this Moda tutorial by Amy Smart and added a border for a little extra size.

I did a loopy meander quilt with an occasional flower.  I really love the quilting part! 
 I found more of that Cat Amore fabric for the back...so fun!
 Cat smiles!
And hand sewing the binding in front of the fire while watching mindless TV, well that's making the most of a COLD night!

Finally, this week I finished my recap of my First Year of Quilting!  These are just the quilts:
It has been an amazing, fulfilling, fun year!  And special thanks to all of you who stopped by here from Amanda Jean's Finish It Up Fridays! 

PS I have a LONG list of potential projects for Year Two.  Do you ever run out of ideas for projects?

8 comments:

  1. Your cat quilt is adorable...I may have to hunt down some of that kitty fabric , my sister is also a cat lover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wine themed table runner is so elegant! And I love the idea of making coasters to match. How do you make the coasters? I would love to try it.

    -Bobbi
    amid.this.moment@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobbi! I love making coasters to accompany table runners! Fast, fun and a great use of scrap fabric and batting. There are lots of tutorials on the web, but simply I cut two squares of the outside fabric (or piece them together) of the same size (usually around 4.5 inches). I cut a piece of batting a little bit smaller to minimize the bulk in the seams. Pile the three pieces up...two outside fabrics facing each other and the square of batting centered on the top. Sew almost all the way around, leaving room for turning it rightside out. Trim the corners. Turn right side out being sure to poke out the corners to square as much as possible. Iron. Sew closely around the edges to seal. I have also had some fun quilting these coasters, concentric squares, etc. Have fun! Kathy

      Delete
  3. Your wine themed table runner is so elegant! And I love the idea of making matching coasters. How do you make the coasters? I would love to try that sometime. My house is in very short supply of coasters (i.e. we can't find the couple of them that we have)

    -Bobbi
    amid.this.moment@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love your kitty quilt. That back is great too! And your quilting - all in one year! Good going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, you sure made a lot of quilts in your first year of quilting! one year i made two and thought i was doing well:) nice to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I wanted to reply to your comment on my blog - FlourishingPalms - but you're a no-reply commenter, so I came here to say thanks for your compliments on my selvage pillows. It was nice of you to take the time to say so! And congratulations to you on your first year of quilting. Looks like you've jumped in and are deep into it! Guess you have the bug, huh?

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to take the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...